Latest News: November 5, 2018
The map above displays the current and upcoming work areas for the Thornton Substation Project. Click on the map to see a larger version.
Our crews achieved a major project milestone by completing the installation of the underground duct banks and vaults within Holly Street and East 112th Avenue. Although work will continue within Holly Street, this milestone signifies the continued progress our team is making in continuing to deliver safe, reliable electric service to the Thornton community.
Starting the week of November 5, crews will work within Holly Street, between East 112th Avenue and East 120th Avenue, to install the cable in the underground duct banks. Crews will be working between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, and traffic control will be picked up at the end of each workday. The installation of the cable is anticipated to continue into early 2019.
During the installation of the cable, construction work zones will include:
- Shifting shoulder or lane closures within Holly Street, between East 112th Avenue and East 119th Avenue.
- Shifting shoulder or lane closures within East 112th Avenue, between Holly Street and Riverdale Road.
- Shoulder or lane closures will adjust to surround the current work area as crews move along Holly Street and East 112th Avenue.
Additional work zones will include construction of the substation, access driveways and a new right-turn lane from Holly Street onto East 119th Avenue.
Our crews are also conducting maintenance on an existing transmission line in the area, and you may see work east of Holly Street along East 112th Avenue, Riverdale Road, McKay Road, and East 104th Avenue. Crews will be removing static wire from the transmission line and are replacing it with new fiber-optic cable which will be used for communication.
We thank the community for your continued patience during the construction of the project. Public safety is at the foundation of all we do. It's our mission to ensure your family, neighbors, and every one of our employees stay safe each day. Xcel Energy is committed to continuing to maintain safe construction work zones and motorist and pedestrian detours as dictated by our traffic control plans that are reviewed and approved by the City of Thornton. Please use caution when walking or driving near construction zones.
Please be mindful of current construction conditions and traffic control measures, as they are likely to change based upon construction progress. Please help us maintain a safe community environment by participating in safe practices near our construction work zones:
- When feasible, take alternate routes to bypass the construction work zones.
- Slow down near construction work zones and follow the posted speed limit.
- Be aware of the location of crews and equipment.
- Eliminate distractions such as cell phones.
- Expect delays to navigate through the work zone.
- Follow all posted signs and directions from construction or traffic control personnel.
- Be aware of the location of traffic cones, barrels and barriers that define travel lanes and identify the construction work zones.
- Be mindful that construction work zones change frequently.
This webpage will be updated as additional information regarding construction activities is available.
If you have any questions or concerns about our construction, please email us at email@example.com or call our project hotline at 844-551-6281. To receive email updates, subscribe to the Thornton Substation email list.
Please note that construction schedules are subject to change.