Substations serve an important function in the electric system that brings energy from generation sources to you. Electricity is transported from generation sources by high-voltage transmission lines to substations, where electricity is then converted to the lower voltages that serve homes and businesses. As a community grows, its electric infrastructure must grow with it, including substations placed nearby, to provide the safe, reliable energy you need.
See photo simulations of the Thornton Substation facade and landscape design. When finished and placed in service, the Thornton Substation will reduce the number and duration of outages in Thornton and surrounding communities. The Thornton Substation, near East 120th Avenue and Holly Street, is expected to be serving the community in mid-2019.
Construction activities planned for 2018 and 2019 include:
- Installation of on-site stormwater detention pond
- Erecting the architectural wall around the substation equipment
- Construction of the privacy fence for neighbors directly adjacent to the site
- Installation of electrical substation equipment
- Adding a sidewalk through the site to connect Skylake Ranch area with the library, schools and businesses and other neighborhoods to the north
- Installation of landscaping
During construction, you will notice construction crews and possible traffic delays. You may hear construction noise during normal working hours (7 a.m. to 7 p.m.). We will do our best to reduce these impacts.
For your safety during construction, please stay out of construction work areas and follow all posted signs. Visit our Thornton Substation construction updates page.